Penncrest High School

Biographies J-R

Dan Kaiser

After Penncrest, attended Wheaton College, graduating in '67.  Entered grad school following year at U. Chicago, but left in '68 to begin teaching at King's College (NY).  Married that same year to Jill Marwin from Mpls whom I had met at Wheaton.  We lived in Pleasantville and Briarcliff Manor, NY for 3 years, then moved back to Chicago, where I resumed graduate study in Russian history.  In 1974 we went to Moscow for a year where I worked on my PhD dissertation; when we came back to the US in '75 we settled in Cambridge, MA where I used the Harvard Library to finish my dissertation.

In '77 after I got my degree, we returned to Chicago, where I taught at the University for one year, then returned to Russia for more research.  In 1979 we moved to Iowa, where I took a position in the dept of history at Grinnell College, where I've been more or less ever since.

We have two kids: Nina just finished her junior year at Colorado College (Colorado Springs, CO), and Andrew just completed high school, and will enroll in Grinnell College this fall.

Russian history is my thing, and I've spent a fair amount of time there over the years.  I try to write about "early modern Russian history," which means basically the period before Peter the Great.  If anyone's interested, they could visit my web page where, along with some of my diversions, one can view a jpg photo of how the years have left their imprint:

Dick Laimbeer 

ll of my career has been spent in the publishing industry (business to business magazine publishing and automotive repair manuals).  That is kind of amazing considering my handwriting was and still is horrible; my spelling is also poor and writing was one of the more difficult tasks during high school.  I do owe thanks to Mr. Penny (my 11th grade English teacher) for helping me to improve my writing ability.  Although as most of us know one never really perfects ones writing ability until one enters the business world.

After graduating from Catawba College in 1967, the next twenty eight years were spent with Chilton Publishing Company which was based in Radnor, PA.  The first twelve years were spent selling advertising space in automotive aftermarket trade magazines in Chicago and Detroit.  The opportunity surfaced for a management position at the home office and I moved back to West Chester, PA in 1980.  The best part of my career with Chilton was being publisher of a business magazine edited for truck fleets.  Charlie Hevner (Rick’s dad) had been publisher of CCJ (Commercial Car Journal) twenty years earlier.  After twenty-eight years with Chilton I was given a check and hand shake and shown the exit.

It actually was one of the best career moves of my life because six months later I joined the Hearst (William Randolph Hearst) Corporation and returned to Detroit as publisher of MOTOR automotive repair manuals.  Three years later I was sitting in the office of my old boss at Chilton inspecting the assets that Hearst has just purchased from ABC.  It has been a great twelve years working for Hearst.  Sad to say, the Chilton Company no longer exists.  ABC bought Chilton in 1979 for $86 million, drained $150 million in cash out of it over the next seventeen years and sold it for $444 million in 1998.  The buyer demolished the company and sold off the pieces.  What a shame.   

I have four children (two girls and two boys).  The oldest (a daughter) has made me a grandfather three times.  The youngest (a son) is a sophomore in high school.  Mary Ann and I live in West Bloomfield Michigan, Northwest of Detroit.  Although Mary Ann is from Michigan and it is a great business community, the winters get longer and longer and it seems as if one never sees the sun from December through March.  The time is approaching to retire and relocate to warm, sunny weather. 

Updated 12/04/2006

Karen G Limburg Eastman

Well my life has been rather ordinary. Nothing exciting or catastrophic but pleasant.

In 1968 John and I were married (32 years in June). We have a daughter Kristen who will be 30 in October and our son Jason will be 22 in July. Okay so there's an 8 year stretch what can I say... Except that we ended up with 2 "only children"

John is an architect and working with Hillcrest Assoc. in Landenberg. He has designed some interesting homes and additions. He just finished a safari room (needed to be high enough for a full grown giraffe and large enough for an elephant and other animals. One person had five garages and one bay has a car wash and another has a glass wall into the house so he can admire his antique cars. Another house has a movie theater in the "basement". He is doing well and loves his work.

Our daughter Kristen is working for Genesis in Kennett Square. She was married for four years and is now single again. She is now busy climbing the corporate ladder and doing very well at it. Kris is dating a high school classmate who works for a Mercedes dealership and is also a pilot. She goes out flying on Saturdays from the Chester County Airport.

Jason is attending Johnson & Wales University, his major is culinary. He spent 6 month in Wales as an exchange student. Of course, Mom had to use that as an excuse to go visit. It is so beautiful there. He was on the Virginia campus for 2 years and now he is in Rhode Island for his last 2.

I began working about 10 years ago, I was fortunate enough to stay home with our children. I worked for The First National Bank of West Chester for nine years. This year I left there and I am now working for an internet bank, and I love it.

For the past year John and I have done a lot of traveling (for us) In November of '98 we were in Austin, Texas; March we were in Wales and England; August we were in Seattle, Washington; and in January we were on a Princess cruise around the islands. We also do a lot of weekend trips with old friends and John's classmates.

e-mail home
e-mail work

Jay MacLaughlin
(Non-Authorized Autobiography, but he was warned)

After graduating from Penncrest he spent several years in pre-matriculation at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School. Asked to comment on his record at Wharton he said, "while I can't account for it, it does kind of add up.sort of." However, he did hold the record for "highballs at nightfall" that while often has been challenged, has never been broken.

During several of his "missing years" he actually studied with Ayn Rand. When asked about this experience, he just "Shrugged".

When word of the Vietnam War reached him at Smokey Joe's, he immediately enlisted in a mounted Horse Calvary unit, the First City Troop. Unfortunately, the war was over before the horses arrived, or the Viet Cong would have known the same fear that Pancho Villa felt when he confronted the Troop.

Following several years with the CIA as their man on station in Philadelphia, Jay moved to New England. When asked to reflect on the CIA years in Philadelphia, he said he could tell us but then he'd have to kill us.

Recently Jay has been in Corporate Communications with Arthur D. Little & Co. His position in the firm was greatly enhanced when he knew the answer to the Chairman's question, "Where is Gradyville anyway?"

Jay plans to make the next reunion, assuming he is permitted in the state where it takes place

Edwin Win McCausland

After graduation I left Media more or less permanently, not that I didn’t return home to visit family but after my trip to Wheaton College in the fall of 1963 I was gone!  During my sophomore year at Wheaton, Jan and I met and were married in the summer of 1966.  Following four years of soccer, some wrestling and cheerleading, Jan and I graduated together and armed with a fresh ROTC commission as a Second Lieutenant, we were off to the Army and a chance to see the world, or so they promised.  See the world, or rather Europe, we did.  I was sent to northern England and we lived at Burtonwood (near Liverpool) and were surrounded by Beatle mania until late 1969 when we returned to finish out my time in the Army at Ft. Meade.

When I left the Army in 1970, we moved to Connecticut where we lived for 26 years.  Our son, Doug, was born shortly after we arrived in Connecticut and our daughter, Susan arrived four years later.  I earned an MBA and Jan got her Doctorate in clinical psychology and established a private practice there while I worked in the investment side of the insurance business.  In 1997 we left Connecticut and moved to New Albany, Ohio where I joined Nationwide Insurance to become their Chief Investment Officer.  Six years later I left that position to establish my own consulting practice which gives Jan and me the freedom to travel, spend summers on Cape Cod and keeps me in touch with all my old business contacts.

Life is good!  Jan and I are looking forward to our first grandchild in September which may keep us from the reunion, but we’ll be there in spirit, if not in person!

Donald Meyer

Please visit his web site:
Michael Michalski

After Penncrest, I went to Drexel Tech as a math major with hopes of joining the coming computer age at IBM. However, subjects such as topology (don't ask, I still don't know) proved way beyond my grasp, so I pursued a more general (read easier) technical field. Ironically, IBM hired me anyway and my dream was beginning to take shape. Back then, the standard business computer with 4Kb of memory filled a small room.

Of course, seven months later Uncle Sam had other ideas about my future. So I got to meet some future foxhole roommates at the Philadelphia army induction center (remember Alice's Restaurant?) and immediately decided it was safer to "ride the waves" than "be all I could be." Visions of becoming a Navy Blue Angel filled my head as I proceeded through flight training. The pay wasn't bad, the travel was exciting and the flying was fun, so I put in 10 years flying patrol aircraft, spending most of that time at bases in the North Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranean Sea, hunting for Red October.

I had married early in this career since it seemed to be a requirement for promotion, even though there are no Government Issue wives. Doomed from the start, six years and no children later we split the sheets. While living in Naples, Italy, I met a "countersunk" sailor who gave new meaning to my life. I left the Canoe Club as we started our family, and a new career in camera repair. Wanted to be my own boss for a change. But after three years of poverty in Colorado Springs, with two babies, and a pilot shortage in the Navy, I returned to active duty - this time in Asia. By now I'd decided to go for the golden handshake and get my 20 years in.

I retired from the service, and my second marriage, in 1992 in Memphis. And yes, I did see Elvis doing a mop-up on aisle 3 at K-Mart. Now faced with, "what do I want to be when I grow up," I took a job in Wichita instructing pilots in aircraft simulators - the ultimate Nintendo game! Presently, I am training pilots how to use satellite navigation systems and once again get to globetrot. Against all my advice, my son, now 20, also joined the navy and is on an aircraft carrier in San Diego. My daughter, just out of high school in Montana, has redefined what we all did in the summer of '63 - being a teenager who knows it all. You want fries with that?

I left out many of the juicy parts, but if you need more detail, I would enjoy talking with you via e-mail ( or phone (800-255-0282 days, or 316-687-5082 evenings.) Until there is a photo page for the reunion non-attendees, I will describe myself as being fortunate to still have nearly all my hair with hardly any gray; specs to find the book at the end of my arms; and judging from the photos posted, about the same physique as many of you who have enjoyed the good life. Almost forgot, I have a 1963 Triumph TR-3 that should qualify as the class car. Go Lions!

Roy A. Miller

Sorry I was unable to attend the reunion. I was otherwise committed that evening, work related. Sounds like everyone had fun. If you would like a donation to the "war chest" let me know how you want the check endorsed. As for committee's, let me know how I can help.

What caught my attention was the threat regarding the biography. Having miss stepped in 1963, by not responding to the yearbook committee, I allowed the unconscionable to happen. I gave someone on the committee free license to fill in the blanks. It's time to set the record straight.

Now, anyone who really knew me, would know my most favorite meal was and is "broiled hockey puck" (medium rare), followed by "peanut butter stew." Steak, was a real distant third. What's with this " Oh, sugar!" stuff. I never cursed a day in my life! I never detested Bunny Neal, and have no idea what happened in the summer of 1961.. Of course I sometimes have trouble remembering what happened yesterday. Now lets get down to reality. If someone had asked me what my future plans were in 1963, most likely I would have responded with Daaaaaa..! At eighteen it was a good day if I could find a clean pair of matching socks, let alone a future. No thank you, I will write my own bio.

After High School, I attended PMC Colleges, I majored in economics and minored in accounting. I graduated in 1967, and married my wife of 31 years and the mother of my two children. Ginnie graduated from Lower Merion High School and Pierce Junior College. Since I was not offered a Rhodes Scholarship, I was unable to sit out the Vietnam War in England not inhaling dope. I did the next best thing and joined a management-consulting firm and got a deferment. What Bill Clinton would have given for an industrial deferment. I started out as the office manager, managing a variety of women of all ages and temperament. After a year, the Vietnam War seemed a blessed relief. My last week at the consulting firm I wore a stripped shirt and carried a whistle to referee the many disputes. I resigned and was promptly drafted.
I spent basic training at Fort Dix, New Jersey. One day I passed Mike Sophocles in the Mess Hall. He sure looked funny with out all that curly hair. After basic, I was assigned to Army Intelligence (no dark humor please.) For the next 3 years, I fought my war in Washington D.C., Baltimore & Philadelphia.

After discharge, I joined the U.S. Postal Inspection Service. Initially, I was assigned to the New York City Division, where I spent 6 years in various criminal assignments investigating narcotic violations, bombs, pornography, major crimes (armed robberies, burglaries and homicides) and mail fraud investigations. I was assigned to the Organized Crime Task Force out of the Southern District of New York for a brief period.

I was promoted to the Inspection Service National Headquarters, Washington, D.C. I spent 10 years in Washington on various assignments. I served as the Assistant Inspector In Charge of the Special Investigations Division which investigated international frauds and was responsible for internal affairs and the Postmaster General Security. I also spent 2 years as the Inspection Services representative to INTERPOL's U.S. National Crime Bureau, Washington D.C. The remainder of my time with the Inspection Service was spent as Domicile Coordinator and Fraud and Prohibited Mailings Team Leader in their Harrisburg, PA field office. I retired in October 1995, to assume my current position as the Executive Director of the Pennsylvania Insurance Fraud and the Automobile Theft Prevention Authorities.

My wife Ginnie will most likely be canonized as a saint for putting up with me for 31 years. We have two grown children, a son and daughter. We spend our free time keeping the kids confused so they don't move back home !

Judy Morgan

I'm so sorry to have missed the class reunion. Unfortunately as life goes something came up at the last minute that had to be attended to. It was great seeing the pictures. Isn't it wonderful that none of us has changed at all? Excuse me, I think my tongue is in my cheek. Life after Penncrest for me has taken many twists and turns. Starting out at Thomas Jefferson School of Nursing and then heading to Ft. Lauderdale for a year where I worked in an operating room only to find that I didn't like taking orders. I then returned to Philadelphia and studied anesthesia, graduating in 1972. I married a surgeon and gave birth to my daughter Lara. She is 24 and works in the fashion industry in New York. After my marriage ended Lara and I moved to Kingston, Pa. where I worked in anesthesia and at being a mom. Two years ago I was lucky enough to join a partnership in a golf course and resort called Willow Run. Now I am one-sixth owner. We own 170 acres around the golf course and should start development for homes next year. I was also lucky in meeting a great man from Spain. We are now engaged. So much happens in a life it is difficult to capsulize it into just a few sentences. I look forward to reading about everyone else. And I hope to see you all at our next get-together.

Alex Mullin

Graduated from West Chester State College in 1968 and married Sally Edwards in 1973. Two daughters: Melissa who graduated from Delaware and Amanda who is enrolled at Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science. A teacher for 30 years in the Interboro School District. Lives in Springfield, Delco and enjoys buying and selling antiques and collectibles. Wishes he still lived in Gradyville.

Victoria (Penny) Ostrander Miecznikowski

When Sandy decided to do a class newsletter, he asked me to write something for the first issue; about 500 words. I decided to try to sum up the last 33 years of my life. After my third rewrite, I found that it was impossible to write such a barebones account. I hope you'll forgive the length and decide in future issues to share your lives with the rest of us. I for one have been curious for years about what happened to everyone.

To begin...

I received my BS from Indiana University of PA, near Pittsburgh and feel lucky I unknowingly chose a great school for teachers. Unlike today, my future husband, Richard (Duke), and I were offered jobs a month before graduation. We worked in that suburban district for three years and then moved to Alfred, N.Y. where I taught fifth grade and Duke pursued his MFA in Art/Pottery. From there we ended up in Fairmont, WV. Duke taught at a small college and I taught in a new open concept school (no walls, four teachers and 100+ fifth graders).

We both longed to live in the country on a farm and spent weekends driving around looking. We finally found a wonderful old Victorian house on 260 acres that needed "work." So two city slickers who knew nothing about country life started their big adventure. We would spend the next 15 years remodeling and learning to do things we couldn't have even imagined. It was our own personal "money pit." My husband and I can now laugh over that first week when we discovered just how many things needed immediate attention.

The hand-dug well in the front yard proved to be contaminated by a dead rabbit who had somehow gotten in. Our first call was to a local well driller. We knew a new roof was in our future, but after the first rain, it was moved to the top of the list. We had leaks everywhere. Before turning on the gas we had the line inspected--of course, it had deteriorated over the years and was full of holes. Luckily, that was one of the easier problems to solve. The man we bought the farm from worked for the gas company. Each room had a coal fireplace, so before cold weather, we were determined to have a modern gas furnace. There was no electricity on the 2nd floor; which for a while we found romantic, taking a candle up to bed. But after all, it was 1974 and as soon as my parents visited, my Dad worked on the wiring. I know my parents were shocked when they finally reached the house, one half mile up a dirt road. We were 25 minutes from the nearest small town and out in so much "space" and absolute quiet. A friend once remarked that you could hear a butterfly flap its wings. But we were filled with energy, ambition and excitement and ready to tackle this home and wilderness.

Duke started a pottery business in the old Civil War/ era house across from the main house and drove 25 minutes to teach. I transferred to a 2 room country school five miles away where I taught fourth, fifth and sixth grades. I was principal and in charge of the hot lunch program. I had nothing in my background to prepare me for this. Luckily I had a wonderful local cook, Mamie Kendall, who had cooked there for years and helped me learn the ropes.

The other teacher, Phillis Moore, taught first, second and third grades and was born six miles from the school. She had taught most of the students' parents and had an endless supply of gossip and stories. We were wary of each other at first and worlds apart in backgrounds, experiences and attitudes. She had a wry sense of humor, a no- nonsense demeanor, and could stop a student dead with a look. But we became best friends accepting those differences between us and actually learning from them. We remain close to this day.

My years at this little country school were challenging to say the least and extremely rewarding. After my fishbowl years at the open school, it was wonderful to be out of the mainstream and left alone to do things my own way. We had no bells to divide up our day. I could take an extra 15 minutes for math or take off on a science hike in a neighbor's woods without permission slips. I was introduced to country socials, covered dish suppers and major Christmas productions with plays and recitations with by every student. The crowd was standing room only at these events. I know our little school could not compete with the schools of today but our students were respectful and interested in learning which made for a great experience for all of us. We had everything we needed, overhead projectors, filmstrip and movie projectors, a few microscopes and a wall of library books in each room. The PTA was active and supportive and bought us new encyclopedias and dictionaries. Our county had a great selection of AV materials which a van brought out once a week. When the school closed after seven years, it was a sad time for the whole community. We were moved to the large town school with 4 rooms for every grade.

Meanwhile, back on the farm our lives continually got busier. We decided with all that land we needed some cattle to keep the fields neat. That, of course, lead to repairing the barn, fixing the fences, learning to put up hay, giving shots and delivering calves. Spring took on new meaning with our own calves to watch in the meadows. I never knew how sweet smelling their mothers kept them, or was it the wild flowers they slept in.

We had a large vegetable garden and I learned to can and pickle and make jellies. Having so many elderberries and blackberries, I even attempted wine-making with a friend's help and a recipe book, with pretty good results. Beginning to sound like Little House on the Prairie yet? I do often wonder where our interest in such a simple, self- sustaining, almost reclusive life came from.

I'd better sum up the last few years quickly. I'm way over my word limit. Duke was hired at California University of PA and we moved to Monessen, PA- 25 miles from Pittsburgh. After 23 years of teaching in WV, I found teaching jobs in PA were impossible to get without friends in high places. I continue to sub and enjoy the variety this involves. But, as much as I loved those years of full-time teaching, I don't miss it and have filled my time with new interests that, unfortunately, aren't money makers yet. My wines are made now with California grapes shipped to Pittsburgh. I walk my dogs in the park instead of on our own road. My love for gardening, initiated with vegetables, is now focused on flowers, with smaller crops to preserve. But old habits die hard and I still like to make everything from scratch.

There's one other bonus in being semi-retired; we get to travel more. My husband's art background has led to trips to Europe the last three summers with groups he organizes from the University, and we escape to a variety of beaches a couple times a year. Turning 50 last year was tough, maybe because my life has no set schedules or boundaries now. But perhaps that's for the best. Anything can happen and I've always loved a challenge.

Paul Pompetti (Updated November 2007)

Our daughter Carolyn married Nick Almonte in 2000, they have two girls Julia age 5, and Olivia 2 1/2. Carolyn is expecting in November 2007 and is supposed to have a boy. Nick works at Raytheon with our son Paul and also with our son-in-law Jack. Carolyn was working at Citizens Bank but is now a stay at home Mom.

Our daughter Amy married Jack Bratsos in 2001 and has two daughters, Abby age 2, and Ella 2 month old.
Amy was teaching 1st grade for a number of years until she had Ella and now is also a stay at home Mom.

Lisa married John Delagrotta in 2002, they do not have any children. Lisa works in a Group home with mentally challenged adults.

So the girls all got married in 2000, 2001 and 2002, very busy times for a few years.

Paul is doing well, he is working at Raytheon in the Computer field with Nick and Jack. He is involved in softball and is on several adult teams.

Carolyn and Amy graduated from Rhode Island College and Paul graduated from the University of Rhode Island, Lisa went to Hairdressing school but is no longer practicing Hairdressing.

As far as what is going on with me, I had 2 strokes in 2004 and I do not drive, but I am able to get around with a cane and also use a wheelchair. The second stroke caused a major problem with my left side. I am still working full-time at Brooks Pharmacy in Human Resources at their Corporate headquarters in Warwick, RI (about 5 miles from home) Brooks was purchased by Rite Aid and is moving everything to Camp Hill, PA(near Harrisburg.) They are moving everything but the employees so I will be out of a job in January of 2008.

Mary Kay is doing well and is working 2 days a week in our Church Rectory as a secretary. She is healthy so she has been great taking care of me as necessary.

We have stopped doing foster care, we had a wonderful little girl for 2 years until she was adopted. It was very difficult to end after all those years but with my disability and our ages it was time to stop.

Paul Pompetti

We have been living in Rhode Island for the past 18 years, prior to this we spent 1 horrible year in Scranton, PA and 5 years in Levittown, PA. I had worked for JC Penney in a variety of Management positions for 30 years until a downsizing at the beginning of this year when I was one of 3,000 Management associates who lost their jobs. I was out of work for 4 months until I got a job as the Human Resources Manager with Brooks Pharmacy in their Distribution Center in Dayville, CT (which is about 45 min. away from our home in Cranston, RI). Brooks is a Pharmacy chain in New England with 241 stores. CVS is a lot bigger and their home is here in RI, but we hold our own against them and Walgreen's.

I am married to Mary Kay (Dougherty) for the past 28 years and we have 4 children, Carolyn (26), she works for Citizens Bank in Executive services, Paul (25) he works for Raytheon in MA doing work on missile systems, Lisa (24) she works in a group home with disabled adults and Amy (22) who will graduate in May and will be a elementary school teacher. None of our children are married or engaged at this point. Carolyn and Amy live at home. Mary Kay lived in Springfield and went to Cardinal O'Hara HS and graduated from Drexel University with a degree in Accounting. I graduated from St. Joseph's University. Mary Kay has stayed at home to raise our children and has been doing daycare for several years.

For the past 16 years Mary Kay and I have been doing foster care for infants prior to them being adopted. We have had 45 infants in our home during that time, a lot of middle of the night feedings and diaper changes, however it is a lot of fun. We only have one infant at a time, right now we have a 5 month old baby girl named Michaela. She came to us when she was 1 week old, and will be with us for a while. The average stay for most of these babies has been 3-4 months, but we have had several babies stay for 9 months (yes, it is difficult to let go after all that time) but the work is very rewarding and we know we have made a difference in their young lives.

Jeffrey Radnor

Hi Yawl
I have lived and worked in the Anderson, South Carolina area for the past 20 years. Anderson is located between Charlotte and Atlanta. on I -85 . It is one of the fastest growing areas in the country. It seems that every other week they are building new industrial plants.

I have been married twice and have two children. Julie is 31 and works for United Way as their campaign director and Jennifer is 27 and works as a special education teacher

I have been busy completing degrees and working as assistant superintendent for the Pendleton School District. The school district has about 3,000 students. Some of the students come from the Clemson University area, some from rural towns and others are lake people.

I still play the drums and my new hobbies include my trains that I have kept since I was six years old. and my coin collection.

I am 53, a little over weight but still have all of my hair and teeth. My memory is a bit lacking but if I keep reading the same article over and over and over I can remember at least 50 percent. I have reviewed the names of my classmates and looked in my yearbook for their pictures. I hope I can recall special events when I see them at the reunion.

You can email me at


Updated on 12/11/12